It is believed that a staircase built as per Vastu, residents will enjoy wealth, health and prosperity at home.
Stairs that do not comply with vastu rules can lead to frequent mishaps like accidents, loss of wealth, tensions, stress and invariably no peace of mind.
Here is a compiled list of problems and risks associated with vastu non-compliant stairs so that you understand and avoid these defects in future.
What is the Appropriate Staircase Direction?
In Indian Vastu Shastra, Staircases or – Stairs, in short, are given high importance from the ancient days.
- The external staircase should be built in the southwest direction facing west, and southwest direction facing south.
- Stairs must always have an odd number and the number must never end with a zero
- The vertical set of stairs should also have an odd number and when divided by three their remnant must be two
- If a linear staircase is constructed, it must begin from north to south or east to west (inside or outside the house).
- Staircases must always be painted in light colors and shades such as red and black should be avoided completely.
Non-Vastu Compliant Staircase?
Know These Risks arising out of non-vastu compliant staircase
Let's talk about the Do's and Don'ts - A checklist for Staircase
Do’s for Staircase-
- Staircase of the house should be constructed in the southern or western part of the house as these directions are heavy.
- Arise the stairs from the East to West or from the North to South and a turn can be taken to any other side due to lack of space.
- Make the number of stairs odd. It should not end with zero.
- There should be odd number of risers in a staircase such as 15, 17, 19 etc.
- The staircases should always turn clockwise in direction
Don’ts for Staircase-
- Shoes should not be placed under the staircase.
- Ideally, shoe rack should be stored outside the house and never inside it. Keeping shoes under the staircase can spread negativity around the house, which in turn can lead to fights within family members.
- Staircase area should never be in dark. Always install some soothing lights in this area
- Avoid having a staircase in the centre of the house as this is the Brahmasthan.
- Never keep or store garbage or cluttered things under a Staircase. This will be harmful for inmates of the house.
A beautiful home all of a sudden becomes unsuitable to live if principles of Vastu are not applied correctly. We highly recommend Vastu principles and rules while constructing your home. Vastu helps to maintain or balance the rhythm of forms and energies that create harmony to your Home.