Balconies are our window to the outside world from our concrete cocoons. To some, their balconies are a source of comfort.
Every morning, a balcony becomes a bird’s playground while different hues of the sun stream through. At night, they offer a glimpse of the starry horizon calling out to the sandman.
While some treat their balconies as just another storage space, some actually go that extra mile to add character to them. According to Vastu shastra, being built at a height, balconies are the place from where maximum cosmic energy (positive or negative) enters a home. Thus, its design and right construction should not be neglected. It will ultimately affect the overall happiness quotient of the place.
1) Avoid building circular balconies. They should not have curves. Shapes like rectangle and square are preferred.
2) Do not keep heavy furniture in the balcony or store unused or trash there. Also, never keep dustbin in your balcony. It is a heavy Vastu dosh.
3) Shrubs and other smaller plants should be placed in the balcony. They not only brighten up the balcony but also facilitate positive vibes.
4) East or north-east is the best direction to construct a balcony. The south-west side is an ideal place for seating, while east-west is the best for a swing.
5) These days we find washbasins and even washrooms built in a balcony. But vastu prohibits this.
6) Space utility has always been a challenge in urban homes. Stuff like kids bicycles, mats, magazines are often kept in the balcony. But this only breeds negative energy in the area.
7) The roof of the balcony should not be higher than the room's roof to which it is attached.
Keep your balcony clean and clutter free for attracting positive cosmic vibes into the home.