Yes, the area under the stairs can be used for making a storage room. Make sure that this room is not used for any other purpose, meaning, there should not be a kitchen, Pooja room or toilet placed below the staircase. Care should be taken to avoid having the beginning of the stairs at the entrance of the store room.
Few more tips on staircase and store rooms are below:
- The best-preferred direction for both staircase and store room is South West, thus, having them one below the other is a good idea.
- If not South West, the next directions preferred are South and West.
- Do not have a store room or staircase in the North East direction of the house.
- Both of them should not be present in front of the main entrance.
- It is advisable to not have stairs in spiral form.
- Wall along the stairs must always be painted in light colors.